Friday, August 18, 2006

Robin's Introduction

So, for all the time I spend writing, I've been resisting a blog. It seems like I spend most of my energy emailing boring things about myself, mostly to my family. Or complaining online about things like "why my job is annoying." Or getting into arguments along the lines of "here’s why I’m right, and you need to listen to me." I spend a lot of time worrying that people are being too reactionary and not listening and learning as well as they could. And reflecting on all the baggage we have that makes us defensive and clogs our critical thinking.

But I thought I couldn’t do my own website, because 1. It would be boring (My mom is patient enough to read things like "I dreamed I was brushing my teeth". Or maybe now that I think about it, she doesn't actually read them) and 2. If all my writing just complains about people in my life to other people in my life, who is left to read my blog? What is left to write about?

Then yesterday I had two actual Ideas in the course of an hour, and it occurred to me that there might be a better way to express myself than cramming it into an email about my Greek Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe. Or like a better place to put things down so I don't lose them. So I'm aiming to assemble some thoughts and format and intentionality.

And maybe this will raise my standards for myself. I’m hoping to make this a little quiet place for me to sort out the noise and figure out what I’m thinking. Or maybe it will be a noisy place where I can find my voice and be loud.

No comments: